Most grocery stores that have a bakery will carry pastries as well. Personally, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth usually but I’m obsessed with cherry pie. Next best thing? – Cherry filled fruit tarts that were on sale at Shop Rite! As a young chef, don’t limit yourself to the few things you know you can cook very well. (Although I’ve had very limited success incorporating fruit into savory dishes) Always make sure to take a look at your local grocer’s weekly circulars. Depending on what items are on sale, see if you can come up with a creative menu including items already in your pantry.
My toaster oven is the #1 most used appliance in my kitchen aside from the stovetop. Microwaves obviously are great..but your results won’t be anywhere near that of a toaster oven. Most toaster ovens will run you about $100 but there are plenty of other suitable options for less. If you happen to live near a Bed Bath & Beyond, they often send coupons out to local residents. The greatest part about these coupons? —They are accepted regardless of the printed expiration dates! For the ladies, Harmon Face Values (Discount Health and Beauty) also accepts Bed Bath & Beyond coupons. Harmon also has a great selection of men’s hair styling products and depending on the brand, you could save a few bucks here and there.
Using proteins for multiple dishes: Freezing/Defrosting
- The first thing I do after grocery shopping is portion out my proteins. Whenever I buy fresh meat, I grab some ziploc bags (Better yet, ziploc brand freezer bags) and portion out the entire package into separate meals before freezing. This way you don’t have to deal with the sanitary issues of defrosting over a short period of time.
- Whenever you can, try and defrost your frozen meat/seafood in a bowl in your fridge overnight. This is the safest method and prevents the most bacteria from growing.
On to the food!
- Now, as far as the salad goes, this is another great example of the versatility of proteins like langosteen lobsters. (I had bought them precooked)
- Instead of defrosting, since these were already precooked and so small, I just dropped them into a small pot of salted boiling water. You should be able to remove these frost-free in about a minute or less.
- Pat them dry with a paper towel and throw them onto a frying pan with olive oil, season with whatever spices you’d like and place them on top of your salad.
- Very quick meal that can be made in between classes.